Monday, December 15, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was a few weeks ago, but I wanted to write about it nevertheless because it was a very important experience for me. As we all know, it is difficult to be away from home, especially during the holiday seasons. Holidays are a time for traditions and for sharing them with the people you know and love. This was the second Thanksgiving that I have spent abroad, and I am so blessed to have celebrated such an important holiday here in such a unique place. I attend a small church in Beit Sahour, which is connected to the school that Marta and I volunteer at. The Pastor of this church kindly and enthusiastically invited us to his home on Thanksgiving. While Palestinians obviously don't celebrate the American Thanksgiving, he had spent some time studying in the US and therefore knew the significance of this holiday for us. So the 5 of us volunteers and our director and his wife all prepared a Thansgiving dish to share, and we gathered around the table, Americans and Palestinians alike, to celebrate this holiday of thankfulness. This year has given me much to be thankful for. I am so thankful for the Palestinians who have welcomed us with open arms, open hearts, and open homes. I am also thankful for the privileges I have that come from being born in the US (the ability to freely travel, for one) . I am thankful for the extremely supportive international community I have found here, as I am for the supportive family and friends at home. I am thankful to have a place to call home, as many Palestinians have been away from their homes for years and some don't even know what home is anymore.
The list could go on forever, but basically I am thankful to be in this place now and to experience and learn and grow throughout this year. Happy belated Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: