Sunday, December 28, 2008

Advent and Christmas Carols

As we progressed through the season of Advent and into Christmas, there was an indescribable energy here. As usual, Advent was a time of anticipation and preparation for the coming of the Christ, and Christmas was a celebration of the birth of the Light of the world. However, as we sang Christmas carols and began to celebrate Christmas, there was an unmistakable sense of sorrow, an inability to reconcile the pain and suffering here with the celebratory joy that embodies Christmas. As we sang “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” I couldn’t help but notice the inconsistencies of the lyrics.

O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie
Above they deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight

Bethlehem is anything but still right now. This traditional hymn depicts Bethlehem as a peaceful and silent place, where hope is evident and near. While I am still optimistic and see hope in the people here, I know that the reality is that many people have lost hope. Christmas time here is wonderful and almost like something from a fairytale, but what many people who come here just for Christmas don’t see is the pain masked by the Christmas decorations and festivities. For me, I know I will never be able to sing Christmas carols in the same way I did before coming here. While I will still sing with joy, I will never be able to forget the reality behind the lyrics.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, Nikki, you make me pause and think. Thank you. What a beautiful, sorrowful, deep thought.