Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas in Bethlehem




On Christmas Eve, I woke up excited and energized for the day. I bundled up with layers (although not quite as many as I would have in Minnesota) and Marta and I headed out to meet up with a teacher and friend from our school. We traveled together to Manger Square, where the festivities had all begun. Music from the abundant Scout troops filled the air, and sounds of bagpipes, drums, and marching became part of the Christmas scene. As I walked through the streets, I was amazed and overwhelmed by the energy in the air. Manger Square was completely filled with people, so much so that moving became nearly impossible. Instead of walking on our own, it seemed as though the crowd did the work for us, pushing us where we needed to be. While watching the parade, we ran into some of the 11th and 12th grade students from the school, girls that we have come to know and become friends with. We kissed each other on the cheeks (as is the custom) and greeted each other with “Merry Christmas!” above the noise in the streets. As we walked along with them, it seemed as if we could not go more than 10 steps without seeing someone we knew and stopping to greet them. While I have felt a part of the community for quite some time now, this day really solidified my feeling of being immersed in the culture and community here.
After spending nearly 6 hours in Manger Square, talking with friends and enjoying the festivities, we headed over to Christmas Lutheran Church (seems fitting, huh?) where there was a Christmas Eve service in junction with Redeemer Lutheran Church in Jerusalem. The service was trilingual and included parts in English, Arabic, and German. As we sang “O Come All Ye Faithful,” I got the shivers when we sang the part about coming to Bethlehem to behold Him. It really made me appreciate how special it was to be there, in the city where Jesus was born, where the story began.
Christmas in Bethlehem for me was not about the decorations or parades; it was about the people I spent it with, the people who have become my family here. Of course, I miss my family and friends back at home, but this was such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I am so grateful for all the people who made Christmas so special and meaningful. Through them, I see the love of Christ and the presence of God. I hope you all had a very special and meaningful Christmas!

1 comment:

englishpal said...

We are happy to announce the new website for Palestine: EnglishPAL!



www.englishpal.ps



EnglishPAL offers facilities to sell and buy items, give things away for free or swap them, advertise or look for a job, advertise or look for a flat or house & ask and give advise and also share information about upcoming events and activities.

Search options are available for the different towns in Palestine. EnglishPAL is free and for all people living in Palestine and East-Jerusalem.



Feel free to post your advert (job recruitment, events or private ads, etc.) on EnglishPAL, we have a great outreach to locals and foreigners in Palestine and Jerusalem and abroad! Also please feel welcome to write about EnglishPAL in your blog.



We hope you will enjoy EnglishPAL!



Bernadette

EnglishPal Team

www.englishpal.ps



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sell + buy + free + swap + job + flat + information + advice = englishpal.ps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~