Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sports Festival...epic!


I just got home from an epic day. I woke up as usual to go to school, only to find out that the majority of the students didn't even have school today, due to the giant sports festival our school was hosting. Every year, the Evangelical Lutheran School in Beit Sahour hosts this event, an opportunity to showcase the athletic abilities of the students. I had seen pictures in past yearbooks of kids jumping through flaming hoops, so I was curious to see what this year would bring. After multiple weeks of practicing and listening to the same song over and over again ("Number 1"), the day finally came for the students to show off all of their hard work and talents. The festival included: 2 dance routines, a coreographed bicycle routine, gymnastics, kindergarten races, basketball routines (one person did a flip after throwing the ball in the air, the next person bouncing the ball off the backboard, and the third slam-dunking the ball in), and of course...the flaming hoop. I cannot even tell you how many times during these 2 hours I was holding my breath and praying that the students would not get hurt. None of the cyclists were wearing helmets, and the fire made me nervous, to say the least, as it was a windy day and I had never seen evidence of this having been practiced before. But, hamdullelah (thank God!), the festival was a success and no one was hurt. I was very impressed by all the hard work of the students and the teachers, and I was surprised by all of the hidden talents of the students!
After the event ended, Marta and I went out to Flavors, a local hotspot, for a bite to eat with some of the students. We have gone to students' houses before for meals, but this was the first time that we had ever "hung out" with students. But now, as it comes closer to the end of the year, I want to take advantage of every opportunity I have to get to know people better. I have come to know and love the people of my community and I count my blessings for having been placed here. Although we came home after14 hours of being out and about, I felt energized and refreshed from this day and the interactions I had with people. Yay, sports festival!

No comments: